Maple Glazed Ribs with Mashed Peas
Here at Escuminac, we think outside the box to find the best culinary partnerships for our 100% pure Canadian maple syrup. That's what led us to creating a one-of-a-kind experience by combining our small-batch maple syrup with a traditional take on ribs.
The rich, sweet taste profile of our harvests give a lighter flavour experience for the ribs themselves. Often served with a sweeter sauce, our approach adds a succulent dimension to the palate.
The peas accent the dish with something a bit calmer for the palate and also provide a healthy vegetable addition to the dish. The best part? The sauce goes equally well on the ribs as it does drizzled on the peas.
Ingredients (2 portions):
1 pound ribs - pork or beef
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut sugar
3-4 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
1/2 tbsp salt
300 g fresh or frozen peas
3 tbsp butter
For the Ribs:
1. Mix everything for the sauce in a cup until a smooth texture
2. Marinade the ribs overnight
3. Cook in a slow cooker or in the oven but covered with lid for around 4 hours - you can check on them
4. When they are tender, transfer on baking paper, put more sauce on them and grill for 5-10 minutes - this is optional - you can serve them without the additional grilling
5. If you prefer you can cut between the ribs
For the mashed peas:
1. Boil the peas for around 10-15 minutes or until soft
2. Blend in a blender with the butter, salt and pepper
3. Serve with the ribs