Matcha powder and maple syrup cookies
A recipe from Chef Andrew Cheng
A powder known both for its unique flavor as well as health benefits, matcha is here to stay, and for good reason. It combines effortlessly with many different food types as well as drinks, and creates an unmistakable color when enough is added.
Combine this with an unblended, pure Canadian maple syrup to make cookies? Now there’s a unique sweet treat unforgettable by the family and loaded with antioxidant ingredients ready to become a fan favorite.
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 325 g corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 230 g butter (room temperature)
- 3 egg yolks
- 12g matcha powder
- 140 g heavy cream
- 80 g granulated sugar
- 240 g ESCUMINAC maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For the biscuit:
- Sift 3 times, together the flour, soda, baking powder and matcha powder
- Using a stand mixer, mix sugar and butter until pale yellow in color (about 4 minutes). Add the egg yolks one by one, until they are well incorporated
- Position the mixer at minimum speed, add the sifted flour until the texture is grainy. If necessary, add a little water.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and keep refrigerated overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 160 degrees F.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment until it is 6mm thick. Using a round cookie cutter, cut the cookies. It is possible to roll the dough again, but it will need to be refrigerated again for a minimum of 4 hours, before forming the cookies.
- Bake for about 7-10 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- For the caramel:
- Heat the cream and set aside.
- Heat the ESCUMINAC maple syrup and set aside.
- Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and caramelize until golden brown.
- Pour slowly over the ESCUMINAC maple syrup, it may splash, be careful. Once everything is well integrated, cook until the bubbles disappear and the mixture becomes more viscous.
14. Add the cream all at once and whisk.
15. Keep refrigerated until completely chilled.
16. Assemble the macaroons by adding the caramel to the center of one cookie and place another cookie on top. Add icing sugar on top and serve.