Recipe by: Marie (https://www.yayforfood.com/)
Most of us have at least heard of the term "Irish Coffee"—a drink that combines coffee with a splash (or two) of Irish whiskey and perhaps some seasoning. It's a favourite of many, and for good reason. It's simple, good, and makes for a fun way to be warmed twice by our coffee.
Here at Escuminac, we decided to make it a bit better, and go all out for a bit of a cocktail. To do this, we combined our premium Canadian maple syrup, heavy whipping cream, some cinnamon and chocolate, and a couple of other treats.
The result is a Maple Irish Coffee Cocktail that lives up to its name and imparts flavours of spice, coffee, and whiskey across the palate. Enjoy it by a fireplace in winter, or on the porch of a cool spring afternoon.
- 6 oz. freshly brewed hot black coffee
- 1 – 1½ oz Irish whiskey (depending on your preference)
- 1-2 tbsp Escuminac pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or 35% whipping cream), lightly whipped
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Shaved chocolate
- In a coffee mug, stir together the maple syrup and coffee. Pour in Irish whiskey and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place heavy cream and vanilla extract in a cocktail shaker (or mason jar) and seal tightly with the lid. Shake vigorously until lightly whipped cream is formed (soft peaks), about 1-2 minutes *(see first note).
- Scoop the whipped cream over the top of the coffee and top with ground cinnamon and/or shaved chocolate if you like. Serve with a spoon for stirring. Best enjoyed immediately.